The wait it over!
Here in all it’s glory is show number 28. It’s the usual mix of killer Rock & Roll, Punk and Soul, with regular features –
Classic Album – We hit the hit on Joe Jackson’s ‘Look Sharp’
Some Weird Song – Mauro introduces us to Oh! Gunquit who you can catch live at the SWS/Dirty Water Club Halloween Party
7 Minutes Of Soul – 2 tracks back to back this week from the Motown label
It’s Alive! – We’ve heard rumblings from Thee Hypnotics… could it be??
All of this plus a super special live session from Henri Herbert and The Fury! Playing in front of an intimate live audience, HH gave a master class in boogie woogie rock n roll piano pounding!
Midway through their European tour in support of their new live album ‘Live at the Gypsy Hotel’ Henri Herbert and The Fury called into Phoenix Live especially for Black Wax – you can hear it here right now!
Track List –
- 1 Disco Sucks by The Computers
- 2 Flying Saucer Attack by The Rezillos
- 3 Sweet Gene Vincent by Ian Dury
- 4 Is She Really Going Out With Him by Joe Jackson
- 5 Substitute by The Who
- 6 Don’t Burst My Bubble by Small Faces
- 7 Too Many Girls by The Mystery Lights
- 8 Mean Man by Betty Harris
- 9 Dive Bomber by Pete Johnson
- 10 Georgia Lee by Tom Waits
- 11 Mean Woman Blues (Live At The Star Club) by Jerry Lee Lewis
- 12 Live in Session – Henri Herbert and the Fury
- 13 Get Across to You by Eddie & the Hotrods
- 14 Inside My Head by The Hateful
- 15 All Night Long (Live) by Thee Hypnotics
- 16 Rave On by Buddy Holly
- 17 Nomads Of The Lost by Oh! Gunquit
- 18 Standing In The Shadows Of Love by Four Tops
- 19 25 Miles by Edwin Starr
- 20 512 by The Jim Jones Revue
*Photo by Andy Lee.
Firstly apologies for the delay in getting last Sunday’s show up. We’re remixing Henri Herbert’s live session so it sounds great for you all. It’ll be here soon don’t worry. In the meantime you can check out the brand new video from Brandy Row!
Do Or Die.
Don’t forget Brandy Row is in session for Black Wax on Sunday 10th December and you can be in the audience! Grab your free tickets now from this link.
Show 27 is up! Ricci Ashoori sat in on Mic 2 as we paid tribute to Black Wax fave Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. We continued our exploration of Joe Jackson‘s debut LP ‘Look Sharp’, checked in with Mauro Some Weird Sin for this week’s Some Weird Song from Miscalculations. It’s Alive came curtesy of The Jam‘s ‘Dig The New Breed’ live album whilst Al Green and the Bar-Kays gave us our 7 Minutes Of Soul.
We let Ricci loose for ‘Ric’s Pick’ and spun a hefty mix of Rock N Roll, Punk and Soul from The Hives, Cyanide Pills, Squeeze Official, Cute Lepers, Thee Vicars, Ramones, Brandy Row and more!
Play it loud!
Track List –
- 1 Here Comes My Girl by Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
- 2 Swallow My Pride by Ramones
- 3 Radio by Ludes
- 4 Dead End Job by The Police
- 5 Sunday Papers by Joe Jackson
- 6 Baby Baby by The Vibrators
- 7 You Lie by Thee Vicars
- 8 I’m A Man by Bo Diddley
- 9 Club-A-Gogo by The Animals
- 10 The Escapist by Miscalculations
- 11 Some Hits Hurts by Cute Lepers
- 12 I Don’t Remember by Cyanide Pills
- 13 Two-Tming Touch And Broken Bones by The Hives
- 14 I Feel Much Better by The Small Faces
- 15 (What’s So Funny) ‘bout Peace Love And Understanding by Elvis Costello And The Attractions
- 16 Going Left Right by Department S
- 17 Slap & Tickle by Squeeze
- 18 Ghosts (Live) by The Jam
- 19 Decline Of A Better Man by Brandy Row
- 20 Supernaturally by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
- 21 (She’s Gonna) Do You In by The Boomtown Rats
- 22 Emerald by Thin Lizzy
- 23 Let’s Stay Together by Al Green
- 24 Soul Finger by The Bar-Kays
- 25 Listen To Her Heart by Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
- 26 Anything That’s Rock N Roll by Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
Summer is over and the Black Wax is spinning once again! It was great to be back in the newly refurbished Phoenix Live studio.
The first show back from summer break – your weekly dose of Rock & Roll, Punk and Soul is right here to enjoy again and again. This week features tracks from The Teamsters, The Objects, Brandy Row, TheCars, The Clash, The Filaments, Giuda, Radiohearts and a lot more including new regular segments –
Classic Album – We go track by track through Joe Jackson‘s 1979 album ‘Look Sharp’ starting with track 1 – One More Time.
It’s Alive! This week Nine Below Zero got their mojo workin’ live at the Marquee.
Some Weird Song – Mauro from Some Weird Sin introduces us to The Cavemen (NZ)
7 Minutes Of Soul – we pay tribute to the Screaming Eagle Charles Bradleywho we lost yesterday.
Check it out now, and turn it up loud!
Track List –
- 1 The Pusher by Steppenwolf
- 2 Heat Treatment by Graham Parker & The Rumour
- 3 Tired Of Waiting For You by The Kinks
- 4 One More Time by Joe Jackson
- 5 1 2 Crush On You by The Clash
- 6 Sharp Suited Son Of A Gun by The Teamsters
- 7 Highly Strung by The Objects
- 8 Shakin All Over by Johnny Kidd & The Pirates
- 9 Too Many Houses In Here by The BellRays
- 10 I Love To Boogie by T Rex
- 11 Star by David Bowie
- 12 Bye Bye Baby by The Detroit Cobras
- 13 This Is Rock N Roll by The Kids
- 14 I’m A Mess by The Cavemen
- 15 Let’s Get Rid Of New York by The Randoms
- 16 Daytime Man by Radiohearts
- 17 Jimmy Jimmy by The Undertones
- 18 Boys Will Be Boys by The Blockheads
- 19 Talkin’ ‘bout The Boogie by Henri Herbert
- 20 The Spider And The Fly by The Rolling Stones
- 21 Got My Mojo Working by Nine Below Zero
- 22 Land Of Lions by The Filaments
- 23 Everyday People by Sly & The Family Stone
- 24 I’m Blue by The 5678’s
- 25 50 To A £ by The Paddingtons
- 26 Just What I Needed by The Cars
- 27 Bad Days Are Back by Giuda
- 28 You Put The Flame On It by Charles Bradley
- 29 Heart Of Gold by Charles Bradley
- 30 Consolidated by Brandy Row
- 31 I Can Feel The Fire by Ronnie Wood
We’re back with a bang this time!
Henri first came to Harlow as part of the Jim Jones Revue for 2 sell out shows at The Square and later returned with his own combo showcasing his electrifying boogie woogie piano playing!
A video of Henri pounding the public piano at St Pancras station has now been viewed more than 14 million times.
Sunday 15th October –
Come and join us at Phoenix Community Radio studios and form an audience for this special live performance.
Doors will open at 4:30pm with the radio show kicking off at 5pm. Henri will join me in the studio for a quick chat (which you’ll hear) prior to taking to the stage for an intimate live set which will also be broadcast as part of the radio show. The show will finish at 7pm and everything will be wrapped up by 7:30pm.
Thanks to supprt from Harlow Council and the Harlow is 70 campaign entry to this event is free. Limited tickets available from Wegottickets.com
There is a licensed bar so bring your ID!
Phoenix Live is located in 15 – 17 West Gate, Harlow (The old Lloyds building on the corner opposite Little Walk).
Hello Black Waxers!
It’s been a while since the last bit of Black Wax news so here it all is in one place.
Firstly – Black Wax returns Sunday 24th September, 5pm – 7pm on Phoenix Live Radio. Phoenix Live is the new name for Phoenix Community Radio and broadcasts from the same location, but everything’s been given a bit of a makeover. Set your bookmarks to www.phoenixlive.online as that is where it’s all happening. The show has a new look, new feel, new guests but the same great mix of Rock N Roll, Punk and Soul spinning on the decks.
Also – The live lounge at Phoenix Live has also been given an overhaul, something I’m very happy about. The room has been spun around and walls have tumbled down to create a bigger audience space that doesn’t feel so hidden away. You can come and see it on Sunday 15th October where we’ll be having a live session from the brilliant Henri Herbert. As pianist with the Jim Jones Revue, Henri has made his name as one of the finest Rock N Roll piano pounders of all time. His new band, The Fury, are on tour throughout the autumn and this is a great chance to see him up close and personal. But don’t worry. If you can’t make it down you can tune in to hear the session live on Black Wax. Full details of the event are here.
So, summer is pretty much over but the fun is just about to start. Every Sunday 5pm – 7pm, Adam Smith’s Black Wax is here to help you cope with the impending Monday morning. More Guests and News to be announced very soon so keep ’em peeled. In the mean time enjoy a photo of me and my son at a recent Chas & Dave gig I was working.
Woah there! Someone’s been slacking big time. This show took place on 16th July and I’ve only just got round to posting it here. Sorry! This was my last show before a scheduled break for summer (summer!? Umbrella season) and it’s the landmark show 25! Even if I do say so myself, this show is great! I’d been absent for a couple of weeks previous and it was good to be back in spinning records.
Lots of stuff has happened since this show, including the Harlow Is 70 Scooter Ride out which, again despite a badly timed downpour, was a success! Over 60 scooters took part in the ride which went all around Harlow ending up at Club Foot. My new live music venture which saw Eddie Piller (Acid Jazz Records) and Rhoda Dakar (Special AKA/Bodysnatchers) DJing whilst The Feb 21s (brilliant last min stand ins) and The Chords UK played live on stage. It was a great day and we’ve been asked to do it all gain next year. Well… ok!
So – summer break is happening, ideas are forming and news will be coming very soon.
Anyhow, here’s the show, play it loud x
Track list –
- 1 Rentacrowd by The Len Price 3
- 2 Pinhead by Ramones
- 3 True Confessions by The Undertones
- 4 Rockin’ Around (With You) by Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers
- 5 Pictures Of Lily by The Who
- 6 All Good Things by Proud Mary
- 7 Quit This Town by Eddie & The Hot Rods
- 8 Up Against The Wall by Tom Robinson Band
- 9 Hold No Shame by Brandy Row
- 10 I Don’t Fit In by Paul Collins’ Beat
- 11 Rock! by The Sweeney (With John Cooper Clarke)
- 12 No Sanctuary by Newtown Neurotics
- 13 Glad And Sorry by Faces
- 14 I’m In A Different World by The Four Tops
- 15 This Boy by The Beatles
- 16 Twistin’ The Night Away by Sam Cooke
- 17 Maybe Tomorrow by The Chords
- 18 Let’s Do The Rocksteady by The Bodysnatchers
- 19 Can’t Be Told by Los Pepes
- 20 Sweet Thing / Candidate / Sweet Thing (Reprise) by David Bowie
- 21 Metadona by Pistones
- 22 And More Again by Love
- 23 How Does It Feel? by Slade
- 24 School’s Out by Alice Cooper
Photo by Carl Gray